2017-18 Annual Report – Scouts
The Pimlico Mundingburra Scout Troop members have been busy over the past 12 months and especially this year as they are gearing up to Jamboree in January. We also welcomed Woomera (David Edwards) back as a Leader and Kiara has been working on stepping back a little from the day to day running of things and working more in the background and keeping paperwork on track.
This year has been a bit of a challenge with the older PL’s & APL’s being removed from active duty at the start of Term 4 last year to enable our younger members to start to take on the Leadership Roles while still having them there as a back-up while also enabling the older Scouts to focus on their own Badgework. We are currently running with an extremely young and inexperienced Leadership group as there is a gap of approx 18 months before our next Group of scouts are due to progress to Venturers – many challenges ahead for everyone!
Activities held over the past 12 months have included:
- Nighthawk, Try Abseiling & Abseiling Proficiency Badge activities (unfortunately the JOTA/Region Regatta camp had to be cancelled due to the Weather).
- Launchzone, Kingpin, Mini Golf and the Rock Climbing Wall (thanks Panda) were great Break-up activities.
- Camps included Regional Group Camp, PL/APL Training Camp, the rained out and re-scheduled Clean-up Australia Day Camp at Bluewater, Magnetic Island Camp over the May long weekend and our recent Construction camp.
- The Scouts commemorated ANZAC Day by participating in the Parade on the Strand.
- Regional Swimming Carnival, Troop Council, Leadership Course for the older Scouts, Cooking Nights & Community Organisation visits to the Mundingburra Police Station & Headspace were also enjoyed by all.
- Green Level Hikes in the Hidden Valley area were run by Jemma Campbell, Kasey Woodhead and, most recently, Eliza Gysberts.
- Jemma Campbell, Kasey Woodhead, Eliza Gysberts & Molly Gysberts also enjoyed some Venturers and Leaders in gaining/updating their First Aid Certificates.
It has been a pleasure to assist a total of 5 Scouts achieve their Australian Scout Medallions over the past 12 months, Shekira Smith completed hers in the middle of 2017 with Hannah Low following in November 2017. Term 2 this year has seen Holly Alford, Jemma Campbell and Kasey Woodhead all awarded their Medallions at Nighthawk just before the school holidays. The best part of this is that they are finally going up to Venturers! Congratulations to all 5 girls, it has been a long road but you got there in the end.
Fundraising for Scouts/Venturers to attend New Zealand Venture 2019, World Scout Jamboree 2019 in Canada, Australian Jamboree 2019 in South Australia, all to be held over the next 12 months (along with Cuboree in September 2018) has added to our already busy lives and the coming year is sure to be just as busy for everyone.
Thank you to the Committee, the Leaders in the Group and those parents who are able to assist in other areas like maintenance, cleaning and helping on camps/hikes – without your support the Leaders would not be able to focus on the Youth Members so much.
Stephanie “Kiara” Dermody